O For a Muse of Fire

I am a widow/mother/daughter/sister/aunt/woman in California. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes I feel calm. Both feelings are because I am a widow/mother/daughter/sister/aunt/woman in California.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

"O For a muse of fire that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention."

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gifts of memories

I read recently that the most enduring present a present can receive is the gift of an experience. I see bumperstickers that say "he who dies with the most toys wins." While I would probably replace toys with shoes or books, I can't help but disagree. I can't remember what my kids gave me last year for my birthday, but I can remember going to dinner at Outback and the panicked look on Mark's face when I asked him if he brought enough money to cover the bill. This year I will remember the breakfast in bed that Claire brought longer than the book they gave me.

I remember the day we spent in Virginia City, Nevada on my 40th birthday longer than any tchotchke I received that day. My kids make movies for special occasions. I treasure those films far more than jewelry or perfume. I remember our dinners out and the funny things we talk about. I remember going to movies with Ken and holding hands.

He or she who dies with the most memories wins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home